PREPARING FOR WINTER 2012

Another fine and cherished sunny day which gave me the opportunity to do a few of my autumn garden chores.  I removed the canopy on my hammock swing and put it away for the winter.  No sunshine that we get now in West Yorkshire is going to be strong enough to warrant my hiding in the shade of a canopy. 

Summer 2010 - the hammock/swing flattens into a double bed
 for those who might like to sleep under the stars!  Not I!
Another chore was to cut the lawn, as well as trim the edges.  I understand it isn't wise to cut a lawn too short towards winter so that you are nearly scalping it, or to let it be too long, at least not in cold climates.  My problem right now, as always at this time of year, is worm casts.  It's all right these websites telling gardeners that we should sweep away wormcasts before mowing but have you ever tried to sweep wormcasts on a saturated lawn when you are lucky if even the grass gets a chance to dry?  I've tried using a lawn rake, and an ordinary rake and a yard brush to sweep them but they are just mushy lumps of mud that spread and which then allow weeds to germinate in them in the spring.  Not good.  But I shall worry about all that next year.  For the time being the lawn looks passable with few weeds and no bald patches and as I am no winter gardener, right now I am just getting things organised for the winter.

Here is a link which will give you more information about lawn care than I can provide.

http://lawncare.about.com/


There are still jobs to do but my vertigo condition only allows so much at any one time.  I still have to plant the tulips but I want to put them in pots and cannot until I get some compost from the garden centre.  It will be lovely to have a compost heap and make my own but I'm afraid I just don't have the space. 

It's soon be time to turn off the outside water supply and to replant the troughs and hanging baskets.  The weather here can be so wild in winter so I have to give some serious thought to what to put where. 

Followers