BACOPA & LOBELIA BASKETS

Today there was no rain and just enough sun and warmth outside to enable me to brave the weather and pot up my hanging baskets.  While I was initially going to just have white trailing lobelia, I decided to hedge my bets by also adding Bacopa plants, all white (not sure you can get them in a colour).  I want to try and get as long a flowering season as I can and last year the Bacopa was flowering well past October.  There are three types of Bacopa that I have used this year: Gulliver, Atlas, and Baja.  It gets very confusing because sometimes you see Bacopa sold as Sutera or Copia, or even Scopia!  Whatever!

Bacopa 'Baja'
Atlas is a new type that I have not seen before. It is describe as 'heavy blooming with masses of huge giant white flowers'. Huge giant? Must be big then.  I'll post photos when there are photos to post.  I'm afraid I cut them all off to make the plants produce more flowering stems.  Better to do it now than later. 




I'll post photos as the baskets progress.  It will be interesting to see if I get the usual bald patches!  :D   Unfortunately, or fortunately, my hanging baskets only get partial sun.  That is, they get sun in the morning as my back windows face east, and then the sun disappears over the rooftop by noon or early afternoon in spring/summer.  So, I have to choose plants that do not demand full sun all the time. 
I cannot believe it is two years that I have been doing this blog, and two years since I showed how I make my hanging baskets.    I make them the cheapskates way using empty compost bags turned inside out.  Here is the link:

http://gardeners-word.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/creating-my-hanging-baskets.html



Followers