I'm having a change this year and trying a new variety of courgette, as well as trying my hand at growing cucumbers. I've never been successful with sweet peppers, except when I lived in the tropics. Here in the UK, I get the plants to grow but they never make fruit. But I shall persevere. The courgette I have decided to try this year - although the Soleil F1 Hybrids I grew last year were brilliant- is Sunstripe F1 Hybrid.
 |
| Courgette Sunstripe F1 Hybrid |
As you can see, they are yellow with a pale stripe. Thompson and Morgan describe them thus:
British breeding of unique shiny golden yellow with striking white striped cylindrical fruits of a wonderful flavour and texture. Compact, open bush habit plants with spineless stems produce easy to see fruits in abundance among the green foliage.
While I have grown cucumbers in the tropics and more successfully than I could believe - I ended up giving them away by the carrier bagful - I have never grown them in this country, the UK. I am going to try growing Vega F1 Hybrid
 |
| Cucumber Vega F1 Hybrid |
Thompson and Morgan say:
Perfect for outdoor growing, ideally through black plastic for warmth and weed suppression, and to keep the fruit clean. Produces a good crop of 10-12 cn (4-5inch) mini fruits throughout the summer if picked regularly. Crunchy, bitter free fruits with a good 'cucumber' flavour. Plants are powdery mildew tolerant.
Last but not least, the problematic pepper. The problem for me is that I like to use a lot of sweet peppers. I roast them, often. So if I could just get my pepper plants to fruit. I am going to try Pepper Gourmet.
 |
| Pepper Gourmet |
Thompson and Morgan write this about it:
Dwarf, compact plants produce a huge crop of stunning bright orange, blocky shaped fruits. Early to ripen, crops throughout a long season and was awarded an RHS AGM for outstanding garden performance. Fruits green turning orange.
We shall see!