HEALTHY PLANTS ARE HAPPY PLANTS

Although we've had a lot of cold spells lately, the plants in my polytunnel are coming along just lovely.  I've kept a close watch on the strawberry plants so that there are no rotting leaves at their base to trigger off disease.  My strawberry plants are now in their second year and I shall allow some runners to propagate new ones this year.  I have several varieties of strawberri and there are loads of flowers on them already.  I've had to take the strawberry-planted trough out of the polytunnel to make room for the pelargoniums and tomatoes which were crowded my little breakfast room. 

You can get a lot of plants in a small space 
I like to keep things in pots so that I can use the spare ground I have for planting courgettes and other things that are less happy in pots. 

Cambridge Favourite strawberry grown in trough
The trough is now outside of the polytunnel and hopefully the plants will do well.  I'm keeping the others inside the tunnel until I need the space for the tomatoes (when they get bigger) as well as the peppers (if they germinate and grow - I haven't had much success in the past).

Tumbling Toms - two red fruits and one yellow. 
In 2010 I had a glut of tomatoes but last year, with the particularly rotten weather, the production of fruit was really disappointing.  I am hoping that the polytunnel will come in handy to keep them more sheltered. 

As mentioned in previous posts, I really love making my drinks from fresh herbs such as lemon balm, lemon mint, applemint and lemon verbena.  I kept them all inside a mini greenhouse and they have survived well.  You know, drinking herbal tea made from fresh leaves is lightyears away from drinking herbal tea from packets of dried herbs and I don't care how expensive the packets are.  Made from fresh herbs, the drinks are smoother, less harsh.  Try it. 

Herbs - chives, lemon balm, applemint and parsley
Pelargoniums from last year and cuttings are how outside, thank goodness!
I am so pleased that the chives have survived but they have almost overdone it.  One is massive and I am wondering if there is a recipe or something so that I can use them.  I do like them raw and chopped up into salads.  This is a little chive plant that I took from the big one last year.  I love the flowers.  So pretty. 

Chives

Followers