It's too miserable and too early yet to risk hanging the newly planted hanging baskets outside on the wall brackets where they can be subjected to torrential rain and/or high winds. I am over-nighting them in the breakfast room where they are safe from frost on my east-facing window but during the day I want them outside if possible, not just because they are in the way but because lack of light will make the plants weedy looking. It's dull out there today - is it really mid May? - with intermittent gentle rain, but no wind. Wind is a no no at this point as the newly planted bacopa and lobelia haven't had chance to extend their roots and get a grip. I sure don't want them blowing over the fence into the neighbour's garden! You know something? I have to tell you that my old neighbour does absolutely zilch in his garden but he has this old fashioned rose bush with stems like Nelson's Column that flowers beautifully every year, a lilac tree that flowers every year, a pretty wild rose that has taken off into an overhanging neighbour's tree, and an azalea that is a sight for sore eyes every spring. All the legacy of previous gardeners or with a little tender-loving-care from his neighbour. And here am I, killing myself...
.JPG) |
|
.JPG) |
Polytunnel protection
|

I've put my tomato plants out in the polytunnel. They are making buds now and one has a couple of flowers. They desperately need light as much as warmth. I've also put the newly germinated courgettes and cucumbers inside the polytunnel, still in their little zipper bags as, if I don't, they will grow tall and weedy on my east-facing kitchen window bottom.
The side vents on the polytunnel are open as it is not a very windy day and I want bees to have access to the strawberries, and I want to keep them aired to try and prevent fungus attacking the plants.
In the dome, at the lower left-hand corner of the polytunnel image, I have placed a small hanging basket. In it I have planted three young, purple 'million bells' (
Calibrachoa) plants. I paid £4 for the plants and it is a bit cheaper than the £12 for the arrangement (including the hanging basket) that I bought from the RHS Garden Centre last year. See below.
 |
| New basket of Million Bells June 2011 |
 |
Basket still in full bloom September 2011
|
By the way, if you keep on shortening the stems at the top centre of the plants and around the edges, you will encourage a bushy effect and you won't end up with the basket having a Friar Tuck hairdo!