PRETTY VIOLA FACES
Today the weather has been absolutely splendid. The problem is, after a lengthy winter all the jobs are waiting. It can be a killer. I managed to plant up four hanging baskets - a job I actually hate doing, trying to get the plants through the side without actually killing them. Shall I knock their heads off or wreck their roots? Anyway, they are done, all four of them, and with a bit of luck there will be no casualties. After that, I deserved a break and as I sat on the swing, lapping up the UVA and UVB, I found myself admiring the pretty little faces of the violas just at my feet. Did you know that violas are extremely fragrant? Try growing them near where you sit in the garden.
Last year I bought several trays of them and planted them for winter and they are still going. I know, I have mentioned them in other posts but they deserve promotion because anyone who hasn't at least tried growing them is missing out. I could smell their perfume from several feet away but then there are hundreds of flowers, literally. It's amazing the variation that I have from a few trays. I know they were sold as mixed, but I had not realised how varied they could be. So, I took some photos to try and show the wide colour range. Hope you like them.
Last year I bought several trays of them and planted them for winter and they are still going. I know, I have mentioned them in other posts but they deserve promotion because anyone who hasn't at least tried growing them is missing out. I could smell their perfume from several feet away but then there are hundreds of flowers, literally. It's amazing the variation that I have from a few trays. I know they were sold as mixed, but I had not realised how varied they could be. So, I took some photos to try and show the wide colour range. Hope you like them.
My hanging baskets, planted with trailing red pelargoniums, white bacopa, blue lobelia, fuchsia Heidi Ann, and tuberous begonias.