ABYSSINIAN GLADIOLI GROWN IN POTS
This year, instead of growing Abyssinian gladioli in my garden border like last year, I have planted them in three large terracotta pots on the top patio of my small garden where they will get full sun. I have several large containers on that patio, all on plant caddies, and I ca\n roll them around, changing their positions, depending on whether they are coming into flower or finished flowering.
Abyssinian Gladioli in large terracotta containers
Not long ago it was Dutch Irises at the front (you can see them in the image below beginning to die back) and they will not put on a display again until next year. I try to make the most of the space I have. I have a lot of Darwin tulips on order and they are going to look fantastic (I hope) next spring on that top patio.
Last year, when the Abyssinian gladioli corms were planted in the garden, they increased in size dramatically. The mother corm dies off each year and a youngster takes its place. It will be interesting to see how the corms fared this year. Will the new corms be bigger, the same, or smaller perhaps? Abyssinian gladioli flower
Note: Abyssinian gladioli are not hardy, are classed as H3 (-5 to 1C), and must be protected during winter in areas that can get severely cold winters. I don't leave them in the ground and mulch them, I let them die back and protect the dried-off corms indoors. The RHS gives this advice: "Plant 10 to 16cm deep on a bed of sharp sand in fertile, well-drained soil. Lift when foliage dies back, discard old corms and store new corms in a dry frost=free place until planting in the spring. In milder areas a thick dry winter mulch may suffice."