SUPERSONIC SWEET PEAS GROWN THE EASY WAY

Now don't be taking what I am about to say as the right way to grow sweet peas, ignoring all the expert advice.  It is just to show how I grew them this year and that they have been surprisingly successful.  So often I have grown sweet peas in the past in what I thought was the right way and the results have varied.  Too often though they were an abject failure.  So this year, in March, I planted the Suttons 'Supersonic' variety of sweet peas in compost in seed trays.  As soon as they germinated I very carefully transferred them into several 7in plastic pots , about five to a pot, on an inside window bottom facing east.  When they had reached a few inches, I put the pots outside near the house wall. Sweet Peas are seriously hardy!  

Suttons 'Supersonic' cut flowers for indoor display - so very fragrant


When they got to about six or seven inches tall, I planted some around an obelisk in a border. I did not separate the plants but left the roots totally undisturbed.  I also planted four pots of sweet peas against a west facing fence that has a strip of soil about six inches wide, and left them to either die or survive.  They have survived.  Sometimes I think we fuss too much with plants.  
Suttons 'Supersonic' sweet peas after cutting off a handful for indoor display

It is absolutely true, the more you cut flowers off sweet pea plants, the more they bloom.  If you just let them bloom on the plant you must remember to dead-head the spent flowers or your display of flowers will be very much reduced as they make seed.  

Suttons 'Supersonic' sweet peas after cutting off a handful for indoor display


Followers