USING HOSTAS FOR TROUBLE FREE HANGING BASKETS
Years ago I used to plant up hanging baskets for my east-facing wall with the usual annuals and fuchsias like we normally see but I got tired of the continual dead-heading, and petals falling, and so on. If you want a trouble-free hanging basket an easy option is hostas. Not all hostas are ideal but Gold Edger is as it is extremely compact. I have had one Gold Edger in each of four hanging baskets for three years now on my east facing wall (they also tolerate facing north and west according to the RHS, and I have left them untouched right through winter when they have died back. Although I will have to divide them next spring, for now they are looking pretty good. They need watering often and occasional feeding but otherwise that is it. Think about it. No slugs eating the hosta and they tolerate partial shade so well.
| Hosta 'Gold Edger' in east-facing hanging basket |
NOTE I always line coir liners (which you can see above) with plastic. I puncture the plastic a few times a couple of inches or more above the base. That way, you get a pool of water below that puncture line from which a thirsty plant can draw (capillary action) as the compost begins to dry out.